Frequently Asked Questions

Student Health Services

Who do I contact if I have a concern about the services/care I received while at Student Health Services?

If you have concerns about your care, please contact the patient advocate at 407-823-2094 or by emailing them at The role of the patient advocate is to ensure that proper medical treatment is received and that each patient is treated with respect.

How do I access information about my visit?

Through the Patient Portal online, you can access a summary of your visit (available 72-hours after your appointment), and normal lab results. You can also call our Health Information Management office to arrange for consent and copies of your patient record.

How can I get a copy of my medical records?

The HIM department staff is responsible for the quality control of patients’ health information and the handling of all requests to release or obtain health information. The HIM department is located on the 2nd floor of the UCF Health Center (building 127). They may be reached at 407.823.2091 or by email at

A patient may request a copy of their records be sent to a third party (such as a referring physician, parent/guardian or another academic entity) or to him/herself. Nominal charges may apply for this service. In order to process the release of the health information, the requester must print off and complete the Authorization to Release Protected Health Information form. The form must be notarized if not completed in person at the HIM department. Every effort will be made to release the record within 5 working days. Please include a working telephone number on all request forms in case there is a question or concern. When the patient is younger than 18 years, a parent or guardian will be required to sign the form.

For more information, please visit the Records section of this website.

I have a hold on my account, how do I get it removed?

Our office can assist with removing holds for Immunizations, International Insurance, and outstanding charges from UCF Student Health Services. Please see our contact page for a list of phone numbers by department for assistance.

How can I get a copy of my immunization records?

The HIM department staff is responsible for immunization records. The immunization section of HIM may be reached by email at

I have an appointment at the Health Center. What documentation do I need to bring?

You will need to bring your Student ID, and any health/prescription insurance cards or a photocopy of the front and back of the cards.

Do you allow job shadowing?

No, contact your program’s advisor for assistance in locating these types of opportunities.

Can I make an appointment for my friend/family?

No, due to FERPA and HIPAA we only schedule appointments through the patient. If the communication/language barrier is a concern, we have translation services to assist in scheduling and patient care.

Where is the closest parking area located and how long can I park there?

The closest parking garages to the Health Center are the Libra Garage and Garage B. These have the amplest parking (permit or daily pass required). The Health Center also has a number of dedicated parking spots for patients in ground lot C3, but parking in these spots requires a special parking permission slip to be displayed on the vehicle’s dashboard (request one at the time of check-in if you parked here). Please note that in addition to the parking permission slip, the vehicle must also display a UCF parking permit or daily parking pass (available for purchase at parking lot kiosk). The parking permission slips are not given retroactively.

If I receive a parking ticket but had an appointment, what should I do next?

Parking Services usually directs the student to have a visit verification form sent to them. It’s a generic form that only states the time and date of a patient’s visit in order to begin the appeals process with Parking Services.

I am a student and would like to apply for a job with UCF Student Health Services. Where do I start?

If you are a student looking for employment, we hire students in non-clinical positions, such as Appointments Clerk, Cashier, and Pharmacy Merchandise. If you would like to work in any of these areas, please complete an OPS/Student Job Application and email it along with your resume to We will keep your resume on file for when a position opens up.

Do you provide “excuse” notes for my professor?

Yes, you will need to complete the visit verification form online and have it sent to them. This verification will only state the time and date of a patient’s visit. Please be sure to your professor’s email address when you fill out the online request form as verifications will not be sent to student emails.

Can I bring my outside provider’s lab orders (standing blood orders, etc.) to the lab at the Health Center?

No, our lab is a Physician Office Laboratory and as such only our established patients can use our services. If you would like to utilize the lab, you will need to see one of our providers first.

Are translation services available?

Yes, either through a bi-lingual staff member or through a certified medical translation service. Through these methods, we can communicate in over 200 languages.

Can faculty and staff be seen at the UCF Health Center?

We welcome faculty and staff patients! In order for us to see you, you must have an in-network insurance company (we are in-network with all the UCF employee health plans). Please note we cannot see Workers’ Comp claims. In regard to Dental services, UCF faculty and staff can access the Dental center regardless of insurance coverage, however, most PPO insurances are accepted and patients always have the option to pay out-of-pocket for services received in the Dental Center.

UCF Pharmacy

Can I have a prescription filled that was written by a physician outside of the Health Center?

Yes, we welcome prescriptions written by outside providers as long as they are located within the United States. To transfer in a prescription from another pharmacy, simply fill out the transfer request form online through our pharmacy page or call 407-823-6337 and read off the info from your RX label and a member of our Pharmacy staff will facilitate the transfer.

Are all prescription medications available at the Pharmacy?

We stock only the most common prescriptions needed by our patients. However, we are happy to special order a prescription for you for pick-up in usually 1-2 days. Our Pharmacy staff can assist you with this.

I had a reaction to the medication prescribed, can I return it to the pharmacy for credit?

Florida Law prevents us from reissuing any medication that was previously dispensed to a patient since we cannot guarantee that it had been properly stored or is not contaminated. Therefore, we cannot issue credit for medications returned to the pharmacy, however, there is a secure drug disposal box located in the UCF Pharmacy within the Health Center, as well as the Student Union, where you can properly dispose of any unwanted medications.

How do I dispose of medication I no longer need?

Bring any unwanted medications to the secure Drug Take Back box located in the Pharmacy or Student Union. The service is anonymous and accepts everything except liquids and creams. The drugs are then safely disposed of (incinerated).

Can someone else pick up my medications for me?

Yes, we ask that patients call the pharmacy ahead of time and inform us as to the name of the person who will be picking up their prescription. Proper photo ID is required upon request when picking up prescriptions.

May I get prescription refills during a semester for which I am not enrolled or after I graduate?

It depends. Please see our Pharmacy personnel.

Does the pharmacy mail prescriptions?

Depends. Prescriptions can be shipped with tracking and insurance within the state of Florida only, and some prescriptions have additional limitations for shipping. Contact our pharmacy to order your medications and discuss if this may be an option for you.

How do I request refills?

We encourage you to order refills in advance. You can request refills a number of different ways: by accessing UCFRx through the UCF Mobile App (watch our video here to learn how to do this), using our automated telephone system by calling 407-823-MEDS, or you can also order online by filling out the request form found on our pharmacy page.

Can I have mail-order prescriptions delivered?

If you are living on-campus, you can have medications delivered in the mail via your mail center’s physical address. See Housing & Resident Life’s webpage for your correct address. We advise you to speak with your mailroom attendant directly to make them aware of any medications being received in the mail so that they can advise you on pick-up processes.

Dental Center

Why do I need an exam and x-rays before my cleaning?

An exam and x-ray are required by law because a dentist has to diagnose what type of cleaning is needed for each patient. An examination and x-rays are used to confirm the health needs of your mouth.

How long will it take to get an appointment for a cleaning as a new patient?

Generally, new patients are scheduled within 4 to 6 weeks.

What if I don’t have dental insurance?

Students can still use our dental clinic without insurance by electing to pay out of pocket for services.

We also offer a Dental Membership Plan as a viable option for those without conventional dental insurance. Dental Membership Programs are direct primary care agreements between an individual and a dental practice, and they help reduce overall dental costs for members. UCF students can pay an annual membership fee of $300 to receive regular exams, regular cleanings, and x-rays. All other services are provided at the UCF Student discounted rate. For more information, download the full brochure here.

What is the difference between a regular cleaning and a deep cleaning?

A routine healthy mouth cleaning, called a prophylaxis, is given to patients who have no periodontal (gum) issues present. It is generally for patients who have kept up with their cleanings every six months and have healthy gums and no deep periodontal pocketing.

Deeper cleanings, called Debridements, or Root Planning, are completed on patients who have symptoms ranging from gingivitis (puffiness and bleeding gums) to periodontal disease (bone loss and infection in the gums).

Do you charge for your services?

Yes, however, our fees average 20-30% less than dentists in the Orlando area. Unlike other departments within UCF Student Health Services, there are no free services provided at the Dental Center. Payment for all dental services is due at the time of service.

Can I get my teeth whitened before my exam and cleaning?

This is not recommended for two reasons: First, we want to make sure there are no cavities or conditions that would create sensitivity or pain in your mouth during whitening; Second, we want to make sure you have clean teeth so that you are whitening teeth and not debris.

I have a regular dentist back home. Can I just get my teeth whitened?

As long as your regular dentist can verify you have had your teeth cleaned within the last six months and you have no cavities or conditions that would cause complications with whitening, we are happy to provide you with teeth whitening services.

Do you charge for missed appointments?

There is a $30 charge if you miss your appointment or cancel without 24-business hours advance notice.

How often should I have a cleaning?

If you have a healthy, disease-free mouth, we recommend a cleaning every six months. If you have periodontal disease, we recommend a cleaning every three months.

Why do I need to have my wisdom teeth evaluated?

Wisdom teeth need to be evaluated because in most cases they can cause pain, swelling, and eventual crowding problems for most college-aged patients. An initial examination is a good time to determine if your wisdom teeth will need to be removed.

My teeth and jaw hurt and sometimes I get headaches. Is this a dental problem?

It can be a dental-related problem, but it can also be a problem that needs to be evaluated by a specialist. Our dentist will do an evaluation and will treat the area here if possible. If it is a problem that requires a referral to see a specialist, we will provide you with the referral and schedule your appointment.

I need a second opinion. Can I get one through the Dental Center?

We are happy to provide a second opinion. Please schedule an appointment and bring the written treatment plan and any previous x-rays you’ve had concerning the diagnosis for which you are seeking a second opinion.

What does a new patient exam consist of?

A new patient exam consists of a full mouth series of x-rays, or panoramic x-ray, hard and soft tissue charting, an oral cancer check, a visual examination, use of an intra-oral camera for you to see a virtual tour of your mouth, periodontal probing to check gum pocket depths, charting dental conditions and finally, creating a custom treatment plan for your dental needs.

What if I don’t have insurance? Can I still come to the Dental Center?

UCF Students, Faculty, and Staff do not need insurance to use the Dental Center. Please remember that if you do not have insurance, you will need to pay for your services at the time of your appointment.

Will you bill my dental insurance?

If you have a PPO or indemnity dental plan, we will gladly submit a claim on your behalf. We do not accept any HMO plans at this time. Payment for all dental services is due at the time of service.

I just had x-rays taken at a different dental office. Do I have to pay for another set?

If you had x-rays taken at another office within the last six months, you can bring them to your appointment at the UCF Dental Center and we will not charge you to take another set of x-rays. You must have them with you at your initial appointment.

I only have a problem with one tooth. Do I still have to have a complete new patient exam and a full series of x-rays? Or can you just look at the one tooth?

We can do a limited exam with two to three x-rays of the problem area, addressing only the one tooth/problem area. You are welcome to come back at any time for a complete new patient exam and a full series of x-rays to examine your whole mouth.

Do I call to schedule an appointment or can I just walk in?

If you are experiencing pain and/or swelling, you can walk into the Dental Center for urgent care and we will make every effort to work you into our schedule. If you do not have pain or swelling, you will need to call to schedule an initial appointment. To schedule an appointment, you can call the Dental Center directly at 407.823.1635.


Can I get the required vaccines at the Health Center?

Yes, all of the required and recommended vaccinations are offered at the UCF Health Center. Prices are comparable to local Health Department clinics. You can also submit the charges to your insurance. In order to receive information on charges and to schedule an appointment call 407-823-2701.

Where can I find the UCF Mandatory Immunization form?

The Form can be located on both the Immunizations page and Forms page of this website.

Where can I obtain my immunization records?

You can ask your parents/guardians to see if they have any official documentation for you. Your doctor or former pediatrician may have your immunizations on file. You can also try your county health department or any public school that you have attended. Previous colleges (except community colleges) or universities are good sources, also.

What if I cannot locate documentation of the required vaccinations?

There are a few options on meeting the requirement for the required vaccinations if you cannot locate proof of the required vaccinations. We will work with you to ensure the requirement is met. Please contact us via email at for assistance.

Your first option is to retake the vaccines. Because you must wait at least 30 days between the two doses, contact our office if this interferes with your UCF orientation deadline.

Your second option is to get a blood titer test, which can test if you have immunity to the disease. Please call 407-823-2701 if you would like to schedule an appointment to get a blood titer test. Charges apply.

What is a titer test?

It is a blood test that tests the level of antibodies in a person’s bloodstream. Positive IGG titers for Measles and Rubella may be submitted in lieu of immunizations. A copy of the lab report MUST be attached to your immunization form. We perform this test in our office with results in about 3-5 business days. Please contact us via email at for assistance.

What is an MMR?

An MMR is the Measles, Mumps and Rubella combination vaccine. Please refer to a medical provider or CDC for further information on the vaccines.

Is this just a University of Central Florida requirement?

All Florida State University System schools and some private institutions require proof of two MMR shots. Some departments within UCF (i.e. College of Nursing) may have separate requirements for immunizations that are not monitored by Student Health Services.

When is the deadline to submit my immunization records?

You must submit the records before registering for courses at UCF (registration is usually done at orientation). Please take care of this requirement after you have been admitted but prior to your orientation session to avoid any delay in registering for classes.

What if my doctor doesn’t have an office stamp?

Ask your doctor’s office to write the dates of your shots on their office letterhead, note that they do not have an official stamp, and sign it. It is helpful to have your date of birth on the form as well.

I have documents from the health department or my former school. Do I still need to complete the UCF Immunization form?

Yes, your bio/demographic information is required on the form. Copies of your other records can then be attached to the form and submitted. Please ensure that the additional documents include all the vaccinations required by UCF.

I was in the military. Doesn’t this prove that I’ve had all my immunizations?

No, however, we will accept your DD214  form or a copy of your military ID card in lieu of submitting proof of your MMR vaccines along with the signed waivers for hepatitis B and meningitis on the UCF Mandatory Health History form.

I attended another Florida State University System school; do I still have to show proof of immunizations when the requirements are the same?

Each university stores the data differently and these systems are not linked together. You can simply contact the health services department of your former school and ask them to provide your records to you.

I got my first MMR vaccination before my first birthday. Why would this be unacceptable?

Immunizations given prior to your first birthday may be ineffective because your immune system was not fully developed. The CDC recommends that the Measles and Rubella immunizations be given after you are one year old. That is the policy established in the requirements. Therefore, you will have to either get an additional MMR vaccine or a blood titer test to show immunity.

If I was born before January 1, 1957, do I still have to submit proof of MMR shots?

No, you are exempt from providing documentation of the required vaccines. However, you are required to submit the Immunization Form with the completed waivers for meningitis and hepatitis B.

I had my transcripts sent to UCF and they were supposed to contain my immunization records. Why don’t you have them?

College transcripts generally do not contain immunization records. You will have to request a copy of these records from the health services department of your former school. Many high school transcripts do contain immunization records. However, these transcripts are sent directly to Undergraduate Admissions and become the property of that office. You will need to obtain a separate copy of these records from your high school and submit them directly to UCF Student Health Services via our partner, Med+Proctor.

What kind of proof of shots do you accept?

We will accept any official form containing your name, date of birth, the names of the shots, and the dates of the shots. These forms or documents may be from a medical office, a school, or military records. Copies of baby book pages where your parents wrote in the shots are not official records and are unacceptable.

How do I submit the Immunization Form?

Completed forms must be uploaded using the Med+Proctor online system. Please watch the instructional video on our Immunizations Page to learn how to submit your forms correctly.

Are the Hepatitis B and Meningitis shots required to enroll at UCF?

All UCF students are required to either document receiving the Hepatitis B and Meningitis vaccines or sign the waiver on the UCF Mandatory Immunization form.

» Back to Top

Billing and Insurance

I already have health insurance. Why do I have to pay a health fee?

The health fee is a state-mandated fee that all students attending a four-year state university are required to pay, regardless of their insurance coverage. The health fee supports many campus-wide health initiatives. At Student Health Services (SHS), the health fee helps to offset your medical costs which means you can see a health care provider with no out-of-pocket charge for the general (primary care) office visit. The health fee also provides discounts on clinical procedures, x-rays, laboratory services, and medical equipment.  When changes occur, students can elect to use their health insurance coverage, or pay out-of-pocket.

Which insurance plans does the Health Center accept?

UCF Student Health Services is in-network with Florida Blue (formerly BlueCross/Blue Shield) PPO & Blue Options plans, United Healthcare, AvMED, Aetna, Cigna PPO, and Tricare plans. Please note that we do not accept most HMO plans. Call our Insurance Office at 407.823.1649 for coverage verification. If using an insurance plan with out-of-network benefits, SHS will provide you with the proper documentation, and you will be responsible for self-filing a claim with your insurance company. All out-of-pocket expenses as determined by your health insurer are due at the time of service.

Which insurance plans does the Dental Center accept?

The Dental Center is currently in-network with Cigna DPPO Network and United Healthcare Dental PPO insurance providers. However, if your PPO dental plan provides out-of-network benefits, we will file your claim as a courtesy. No HMO dental plans are accepted at this time. Payment for all dental services is due at the time of service.

Where can I find more information about the current UCF-endorsed Student Health Insurance Plan?

Please visit

Why do I need to put my insurance on file?

By having your insurance on file, you ensure that your insurance claims and referrals are processed in accordance with your level of benefits. We may participate with your insurance carrier, or your policy may have out-of-network benefits that will help cover applicable charges.

How do I put my insurance on file?

Patients can file their insurance policy by completing and uploading an Insurance Processing Agreement and a copy of their insurance card (both front and back).  Patients may also visit the Insurance Department located on the first floor of the health center next to the reception area to submit documentation.

Due to federal law, any patient over the age of 18 must fill out an Insurance Processing Agreement form consenting UCF to verify coverage and benefit details.

It is important to note that this information is used to file a patient’s medical insurance only. Charges incurred for prescriptions and dental services may be filed separately with the Pharmacy and Dental Clinic.

How will I know if I have a bill?

The SHS Business Office will file medical charges incurred with the patient’s medical insurance only if using in-network benefits. If using out-of-network benefits, proper documentation will be supplied and the patient is responsible for filing the claim. Normally it takes 4 to 6 weeks for the insurance company to process the claim.

After UCF SHS receives the explanation of benefits (EOB);

  1. Primary care visits: there will be no out-of-pocket charges for currently enrolled students.
  2. Labs, x-rays, medical procedures and equipment: the patient will be financially responsible for the patient balance according to the EOB including non-covered services.
  3. Specialty services: the patient will be financially responsible for the patient balance according to the EOB, co-payments and/or charges applied to the deductible.

Patients are billed the day after a debt is incurred via an emailed or paper statement. Students can check their MyUCF account to confirm. Failure to pay an account balance within 14 days of the date of service will result in a “collections” hold being placed on the account. Call the Cashier at 407-823-0600 to make payments, or call the Business Office at 407-823-2386 if you have any questions.

What services are unable to be transferred to insurance?

The following is a list of services that cannot be filed to insurance:

  • Any service prior to the policy’s effective date
  • Crutches (purchase)
  • Over-the-counter items
  • X-ray copies
  • Lab access fees
  • Specialty care access fees
  • Fit Test
  • Albuterol Inhaler Pack
  • BP Monitor

What if I have two insurances?

Make sure to contact both of your insurances to update your Coordination of Benefits (COB). One of your insurances will be determined as primary and the other as secondary. We will bill charges to both insurances as long as we are in-network with both insurances. Note: we cannot bill charges to the secondary insurance if we do not accept the primary.

What if I have insurance from another state?

Contact your insurance to see if it can be used in the state of Florida. If so, register your insurance information with our insurance department.

What if I’m from Miami-Dade county and have AvMed insurance?

Jackson Health and Miami-Dade plans allow for college students to be seen outside of Miami-Dade county as long as an Away From Home status is on file with them. You can update the Away From Home status by calling AvMed at 844-439-5378 or filling out a form with our insurance department.

International Insurance

For what duration do international students need to purchase insurance?

You are required to have health insurance for the duration of the semester for which you are trying to register. For specific dates for each semester, please visit the Academic Calendar. To avoid any confusion with those dates, we advise you to have annual coverage for your time spent as a UCF student.

Do International Students have to buy the insurance offered by UCF?

International students are not required to purchase the health insurance plan that is endorsed by UCF. However, the UCF plan by Gallagher Student Health and Special Risk does meet the criteria set by the Florida Board of Governors and is recommended. Other medical insurance plans that meet the criteria and requirements are acceptable. International students are encouraged not to purchase the plan with the lowest cost if it does not provide adequate benefits. Please see the Alternative Insurance List for more information about pre-approved plans.

If I buy the insurance offered by UCF, how do I apply?

Please visit Click “Student Waive/Enroll” if you are an undergraduate or graduate student, or click “CMMS/Intensive English Program Enrollment Form” if you are a CMMS student.

I have insurance through my employer, what do I do?

If you have health insurance through your employer, you will need to have a Compliance Form filled out by a representative of the health insurance company your employer uses. If your coverage does not match the state of Florida requirements, contact the UCF Student Health Services International Insurance office at 407-823-6295 to discuss your options.

I have insurance through a family member, what do I do?

If you have health insurance through a family member, you will need to have a Compliance Form filled out by a representative of the health insurance company your employer uses. If your coverage does not match the state of Florida requirements, contact the UCF Student Health Services International Insurance office at 407-823-6295 to discuss your options.

I have an Insurance Hold, but my insurance is current. Why do I have this Hold?

Even though you have health insurance for the current semester, the office will put you back on hold (toward the middle of the semester) as a reminder to show us proof of health insurance for the following semester. The office must know in advance that you will have health insurance during the semester for which you are trying to register. This hold will only prohibit the next semester’s REGISTRATION, nothing more. Please contact our International Insurance department at 407-823-6295 for questions or concerns.

The Business Office may place an “informational” hold on your account if your insurance is requesting information from you (like visa status). This is reminding you that you need to contact your insurer so claims for services can be processed and paid.

The Business Office may place a “collections” hold on your account for any unpaid balance that is 14 days past due. This collections hold will prohibit you from registering for classes, receiving transcripts and/or your diploma.

My country has a national health care system. Does this exempt me from the international student insurance requirement?

Regardless of national health care systems, no international student is exempt from the requirement. However, different countries have different ways of meeting this requirement. Please call our office for further explanation if you have questions about this.